This is a site for discussing roleplaying games. Have fun doing so, but there is one major rule: do not discuss political issues that aren't directly and uniquely related to the subject of the thread and about gaming. While this site is dedicated to free speech, the following will not be tolerated: devolving a thread into unrelated political discussion, sockpuppeting (using multiple and/or bogus accounts), disrupting topics without contributing to them, and posting images that could get someone fired in the workplace (an external link is OK, but clearly mark it as Not Safe For Work, or NSFW). If you receive a warning, please take it seriously and either move on to another topic or steer the discussion back to its original RPG-related theme.

Author Topic: [Ptolus/AD&D] In-character thread #1 - The Gold Ladder  (Read 13545 times)

Benoist

[Ptolus/AD&D] In-character thread #1 - The Gold Ladder
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
Year 431 of the Imperial Age. It had been nearly 500 years since the armies of Ghul, the Skull King, the Half God, ruled the lands today under the dominion of the Lion-guarded Throne with armies born out of fire and darkness. In time, just as storms finally come to pass, so did this age of pain. The Great Empire of Tarsis rose out of its ashes, and peace came to Palastan. As the new city of Ptolus grew in the shadow of the Spire, rumours of great riches underground spread throughout the region. A new generation of would-be heroes made its way to the area, in search for gold and glory…
– The Praemal Tales.

You have been waiting for quite some time now. How long it has been is rather hard to tell. The night is well advanced. It would be nigh impossible to spot the moons or stars in this wretched weather, anyway. You hear the rain slam against the roof of the inn, and occasionally see a sudden flash of lightning contrast everything in the room in shades of black and white. Water is pouring out of the gutters outside like dozens of small waterfalls drowned into an ocean of wind and fury.

Nice welcome, to be sure. You wonder if this is usual weather for the area. Whether you arrived to the city gates, were thrown out of a tavern after some trouble was stirred, or you finally made it to port through the storm, none of you could really escape the very common surprise visitors express once they spot the Spire. It is so tall, so huge; it dominates the landscape in such a way as to make it impossible to miss, even in this awful weather. Had you been able to see beyond the heavy clouds now covering the sky, it would still have been imposing enough to hide a great number of celestial bodies from your sight.

Lightning again, followed a few seconds later by the very low growl of thunder rolling high above. You remember making your way to the city. You remember spotting the camps of various delvers scattered throughout the landscape, away from the Imperial eyes guarding the fortress of Dalenguard and the Church looking upon such activities with a patronizing disdain so characteristic of Lothian’s prelates. Some of the constructions were already made of stone, some using ruins left from the times of Ghul to build around a home for themselves, while others started from scratch, using the characteristic mix of stonework foundations and lumber for upper levels that made Palastani houses so distinct. There were of course many tents around as well, most of them owned by newcomers who were, like yourselves, called to that part of the world to strike it rich, and fast.

That’s when you found the kids. Or rather, that’s when they found you. They were little beggars sent to search for volunteers. Dangerous job, they said. Everything would be explained once you met the boss. A warm meal and fresh ale would be provided.

You followed them, and that’s of course how you ended up here. In this tavern, or chapel, judging by the coloured glass above your heads – what was the name again? The “Gold Ladder”, was it? You can easily figure out why the “Ladder”, judging by the enormous 20-foot wide hole in the floor behind the bar (what’s with all the ropes and equipment stored near that well, exactly?). As for the “Gold” part well, you sure hoped the coin would be there to prove it.

Everything is clean and pristine here but for a thin layer of dust covering the tables and counters. It doesn’t seem like the tavern was ever open, though it does feel abandoned for some unknown reason. It is too nice in here. Too damn quiet. You throw a look at your chaperon waiting like you for his boss to come back. A geriatric dwarf with a long white beard and ice cold blue eyes, as it were. He seems weary and tired, though you can see he is hiding it to make it seem like he would be able to take you all in a fight if he had to. Ah! Dwarves: the more these guys grow old and weak, the more they stay the same.

You keep on waiting, and look at the assortment of “heroes” gathered in this room…

DM: Please describe/introduce yourselves and indicate roughly where you are standing in this room (“near the bar”, “by the southern door”, etc. have a look at the map below). You can talk to each other if you want to. You are currently waiting for the inn’s owner to come back from an errand. The very old dwarf here is waiting like you are (he is standing behind the bar, near the well), all the while keeping an eye on you.

If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask them in the fresh OOC thread I just created. Game on, people!

Click on the map for a higher resolution

_______

Ptolus/AD&D Threads on the RPG Site
Pre-game Chat
Player Characters
Experience Points
Out-of-character thread #1
Out-of-character thread #2
People and Places of Ptolus
In-character thread #1 - The Gold Ladder
In-character thread #1a - Delbaeth
In-character thread #2 - Underground (part 1)
In-character thread #2b - Limbus Sanguineum
In-character thread #2c - Limbus Sanguineum Redux
In-character thread #3 - Back to the Surface
In-character thread #4 - Davin's Arrival
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:57:58 AM by Benoist »

skofflox

• KING of the rill-rock
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
A cloaked figure standing at the rt. end (facing it) of the bar, dripping wet.  Casualy looking at the other folk gathered from the deep hood of my stormcloak...a wry smile playing across my lips at the motley assortment...wondering,whom shall Charlathan smile upon?

With this gathering I am glad Tudd is here to watch my back...as I do likewise.
wondering if Mead will be served...soon...
Form the group wisely, make sure you share goals and means.
Set norms of table etiquette early on.
Encourage attentive participation and speed of play so the game will stay vibrant!
Allow that the group, milieu and system will from an organic symbiosis.
Most importantly, have fun exploring the possibilities!

Running: AD&D 2nd. ed.
"And my orders from Gygax are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to play in my beloved milieu."-Kyle Aaron

winkingbishop

• Treasure Type: H x 3
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »
Friar Othos enters the building, escaping the downpour.  Behind him, one or two humanoid shapes still linger behind.  In his sodden state, the friar's rough robe exaggerates his bulky shape; the dwarf is stout and plump even for his race.  As he makes his way towards the "bar" his long strides cause his tin begging cup to clang noisily against a humble cooking pot.  It would almost be comical were it not such an obvious ruse: His armor is clearly visible through the damp and a vicious morning star comes swinging loose as he adjusts his belt.

Approaching the bar, Friar Othos nods to the hooded figure but turns his attention to the aging dwarf.  He addresses him in Dwarven:

(Dwarven) "May the Builder bless you and your kin.  I am Othos Stoneshield, Fourth of my name.  I wonder if you might tell me something about this structure?"

And, to no one in particular during a silence, in Common:

"It sure was a long hike, getting here.  I wonder if that really is a bar or if it just looks like one?"
"I presume, my boy, you are the keeper of this oracular pig." -The Horned King

Friar Othos - [Ptolus/AD&D pbp]

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »
A heavily muscled individual wearing a travel-stained robe with wet cloak thrown over his brawny shoulders sits at the head of the table in the lower-left-hand corner of the room (as you look at the map).  Around the table sits a party of workingmen; one is carefully sorting through a pile of torches, flasks, candles and a tinderbox, checking them all to ensure that the wrappings are still dry.  Likewise, the other two pass a length of rope across the table, making sure it's hempen knots are at least undamaged by the water.  Two armed-and-armored spearmen watch over the pile of gear in the corner behind.

Ylarum scans the room, on the lookout for the prospective employer.

"Wait here, lads.  I'll see if friend dwarf barkeep knows who we might be seeking.  Liir, Dallow, Snave, make room - Tarm, Json, bring chairs 'round."

When he approaches the bar and spies the dwarven holy servant and barman speaking together, he bows - still keeping his eyes up, however.

"Father.  Ostler.  Pray forgive my interruption, but I and my retinue yonder were told to come here, to seek employ.  Do you know of anyone arriving, or indeed are you looking for sell-swords?"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:56:22 PM by thedungeondelver »
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

Mcbobbo sums it up nicely.

Astrophysicists are reassessing Einsteinian relativity because the 28 billion l

Benoist

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »
Clearly, the dwarf did understand what Otho told him in his own language. Considering his question carefully, he simply points out in Common: "I am Cadfan."

He sighs. "This is the Gold Ladder, lad. A place for you to dine, drink and enjoy the company of others like you. Of course, it is a temple of Ollom, God of the Keg, a place where you can get access to whatever is down below, and get supplies for your trips, should you need some, as well. But don't go around telling that to them good men of the Church. Can't say they really approve of other gods and delvers settling within the city walls, if you get my meaning."

He winks at Otho, and then addresses Ylarum after he approached the bar and asked his question. "My mistress will be back soon. She will explain everything, though we are indeed looking for some fine young representatives of the 'adventuring' kind, that is a matter of fact."

thedungeondelver

• Advanced D&D
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
Ylarum bows again and returns to his table.

"We wait for the nonce, lads.  Rope nice and dry?  Good.  Mark my words, you two," here Ylarum indicates his footmen, "once we've got our haul, if you wish to sign on for another venture, I'll see to it you're fitted out in ring hauberks and iron shields.  Gi' ya each a sword, too, Gods willing..."
THE DELVERS DUNGEON

Mcbobbo sums it up nicely.

Astrophysicists are reassessing Einsteinian relativity because the 28 billion l

skofflox

• KING of the rill-rock
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:23:17 AM »
Affter watching the human go back to his table I approach and nod to the newly arrived Dwarf,noting the armor and weapon (in deep and gutteral common)  "Been wondering that myself" looking to the barkeep..."Cadfan is it?I'll be having a Mulled mead as quick as you like,and something for this fellow (indicating Otho) if he will have it..?" as I throw the coin onto the bar.

"Nothing warms the bones like mulled Mead. How fare you this storm- wracked eve master Dwarf?"
Encourage attentive participation and speed of play so the game will stay vibrant!

"And my orders from Gygax are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to play in my beloved milieu."-Kyle Aaron

winkingbishop

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
Othos beams at Cadfan: (Dwarven) "Blessed be the walls of Ptolus.  Here the meek find shelter and even the Gods carry kegs.  Blessed be the name of Ollom if we should find something to quench our thirsts as well.  It is a pleasure to meet you."

He then turns to face the approaching figure (Runch) and smiles at him: "How fare I?  I am burdened with wet, with sin and with curiosity about our employer.  Yet all would be satisfied if I could but wet my parched lips."  He grins again.  "I am Friar Othos of the Stoneshield Clan.  I trust you too are waiting on our host?"

Lilaxe

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »
Smeads, a thin well dressed male showing a hint of an elven parent in his ears. He enters the room and glances around, taking note of everyone in the room. Hearing the dwarf behind the bar explain the situation he moves to the north east corner of the room and takes a chair from that table, moves it closer to the wall and sits with his back to the wall.

He waits for the owner.

Playing: PF
Running: AD&D 1E

Imperator

• Say hello!
    • http://elblogdelemperador.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
Gareth

I stand for a moment at the door, listening to conversations and catching the names of everyone I can. I let my fellow Shoal Elves get in, while I quietly check everyone for visible purses. Fat purses. I have some debt to pay to Nimten.

After I manage to get some water out of me, I sit by the bar, and greet everyone with a friendly "Well met, you all." After that, I address the old dwarf.

"Cadfan, aren't you? My name is Gareth, and I'm glad to meet you. Could you inform me how can a soaked wet person get some mead and ale? The Shoal Elf over there (point to Nimten) is taking the tab for me. Also, where does that hole lead?"

Once I get the drinks and answers, I'll sit with the Shoal Elves.
My name is Ramón Nogueras. Running now Vampire: the Masquerade (Giovanni Chronicles IV for just 3 players), and itching to resume my Call of Cthulhu campaign (The Sense of the Sleight-of-Hand Man).

Cole

• Factotum
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
Ulas Xegg, a man of athletic build in red-dyed studded leather armor and a black rain-cloak, enters, pulling off his sodden hood to release a shock of straw-colored hair that defies any ordered arrangement. He looks about the room, shakes his head in resignation, and claps friar Otho on the shoulder in greeting, before seating himself by Ylarum and his entourage, then burying his gaunt face in his hands.

"Ah! What did I drink last night? It is like devils have pissed in my brain."

He looks up at the warrior and says,

"Gods of hell, Plainsman, have you brought every last one of your illegitimate sons along with you?"

He sighs heavily, then watches the hirelings as they sort and prepare, then continues,

"At least yours can work. Mine only send their mothers, asking for money. My friend, I would buy you a drink, had I not bought the last I could afford sometime past midnight."

He settles down into his chair, but fidgets with unease.
ABRAXAS - A D&D Blog

"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight."
--Lon Chaney

Ulas Xegg

winkingbishop

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »
Glancing across the room and speaking across the room, a bit too loudly to Ulas: "I hope she was worth it Ulas.  After the tragedy with the horse outside of town I'm afraid you're down to your last ride for now."

Cole

• Factotum
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
Quote from: winkingbishop;418521
Glancing across the room and speaking across the room, a bit too loudly to Ulas: "I hope she was worth it Ulas.  After the tragedy with the horse outside of town I'm afraid you're down to your last ride for now."

"The memory is vague at best, so for the comfort of my heart I will elect to assume she was. How are you, Dwarf?"
ABRAXAS - A D&D Blog

"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight."
--Lon Chaney

Ulas Xegg

skofflox

• KING of the rill-rock
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
After listening to the exchange with the man in red armor.  

" Well,if there is anyplace to relieve you of said burdens this is it!" as I indicate the barrels of spirits and the depictions of Ollom. "Spirits and absolution are oftimes bedfellows."

"I am Runch,late of the temple of Charlathan.Well met!" as I give a slight bow to Otho,letting the wooden sigil of Charlathan hang into view.

"As to our potential benefactor, I have not to say." as I shrug.

Benoist

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
Quote from: thedungeondelver;418444
Ylarum bows again and returns to his table.

"We wait for the nonce, lads.  Rope nice and dry?  Good.  Mark my words, you two," here Ylarum indicates his footmen, "once we've got our haul, if you wish to sign on for another venture, I'll see to it you're fitted out in ring hauberks and iron shields.  Gi' ya each a sword, too, Gods willing..."

Your men take you at your word. You can see a glint in their eyes. They obviously react well at any announcement of your part that their condition might improve.
___

Cadfan ignores your remarks for a moment. He grabs a few mugs and places them on the counter. He then seizes a few clay pitchers and walks away from the bar. He is wearing leather working pants, large boots, and an apron over a suit of old chainmail (!). He starts pouring liquors from the gigantic barrels lodged in the alcoves around the well (the same alcoves with pannels of colored glass high above). He moves from barrel to barrel, and comes back to the bar, placing the pitchers next to the mugs. He nods to Runch: "This one's the mead, lad."

He doesn't seem to mind Runch's (or Tudd's, for that matter) ancestry a bit. He might be too weary, or just ignores it. He might hide it very well too, now that you think of it.

"You can keep your coins, all of you. This is on the house. You are going to need a little kick where you're going."

DM: Awesome. Don't hesitate to keep interacting with each others. This is an occasion for you to show what your character is about before the adventure kicks in (and for everyone to catch up with the fact the game started as well). So, don't hesitate and go crazy.